Linux

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

FaLLGuY
Inmate

Linux

Post by FaLLGuY »

Can I install games that are on my XP system onto a Linux system? I'm thinking of changing over to Linux but I'm a little scared to. :shock: I'm a newbie at Linux.
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

OK..I looked up some stuff and see that Linux doesn't have much for gaming.

Doh! Microsoft sucks!

I bought a new mother board and now I have to buy a new license for my Home XP. This is so gay to have to pay again to use this system.

And yes I'm using a OEM license I bought from Newegg.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

You shouldn't have to buy another - won't MS give you a new activation code?

And you can play many games under Linux, but many you can't. Have a look at the Cedega homepage. You'll find a list of games supported and the degree of support. For example, I think it'll even play BF2, though with a speed penalty. I've used it for Diablo II and Starfleet Command and they work just fine.
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

If my copy wasn't OEM I wouldn't have to worry. I have it taken care of now but the link to Cedega is awesome. Good to see that you can play games. I wont be using Linux yet but in the future I could be.

Thanks Gambit. :D
Malthus

Post by Malthus »

I've gotten WoW to run under cedega also, not as well as under xp, but it was playable.

Ubuntu is a great linux ditro to mess around with FG, and I suggest running the EasyUbuntu scripts also ( http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/ ) They claim they will even install the latest 3d drivers (probably the biggest stumbling block for new users).

I would setup a linux partition and play around with it, this way you start to learn linux, but can still play games that won't run under it, yet. :)