Okay guys...

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Okay guys...

Post by Sharpster »

Over the years i've become more and more aware that basic computer you order or buy in best buy just can't cut it for gaming...

I was talking with my Mom about maybe building my own computer and we came to the conclusion that if I save up the half of my pay check I can spend
(the other half is saving for a car) then I can build one of my own.

This is where you guys come in.. Every 2 weeks when I get paid i'll have around 75 or 80 bucks to save up over time...

I want a computer that is not too overly priced but will last for as many years as it can without having to be updated constantly with the constant changes and new technologys and requirements for the gaming industry...

I'm looking to build it from scratch but I dont know the first thing about building a computer and all of the components needed to build one :-/. XVirius and his dad both offered to put it together and set it up when I've gotten all the parts or w/e...

I'm wondering if you guys would be able to search out and find me the best deals for what I'm looking for as to I have no idea what to do....

Anyone up to the challenge ?
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

some of the best deals:

(NOTE that I stated, SOME)

www.pricewatch.com

you'll need:

CPU
motherboard
Memory
harddrive
video card
soundcard (MAYBE... some motherboards have pretty good onboard sound nowadays)

And don't forget the OS! Unless you already have a copy of WINXP Pro lying around...
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Thx i'll look around on there, but even if I see somthing that I like the price, im still dont know it it will last for awhile... or if it is worth it...

Don't I need the differant D and E drives and stuff ?

I've browsed around and see they have lots of differant selections and I have no idea what would be the best buy for each part ? Thats why im wondering if when someone has free time would pick out what they feel would be the best bet for a decent gaming computer that isnt outrageously priced and will last for some time.. I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff.. I just understand how to do some things on it :) Not what it consists of and which is better for what...

Im talking from scratch including buying a case with fans and speakers the whole 9 yards
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Sharp, the problem is that you've gotta find something that suits you. You have to weigh the different parts and spend the money where it does you the most good. What works for me may not work for Ice or Asha or Hat, and vice versa.

The other problem is that you want it to last for a long time. Well, a gaming rig gets out of date pretty fast. My A64 that I bought a year ago was major w00tage then, and I will probably be using it for another year or perhaps two, but it'll be really out of date by then. "Serious" gamers would want a newer system than mine already.

And then there's budget! Piecing together a comp is usually more expensive than buying off the shelf. The advantage is you have all-standard parts and you have the parts that are important to you.

Areas to concentrate on are vid card, amount of system RAM, and lastly the general range of CPU you want. In that order. It's all a balancing act, of course.

I'll be happy to put together some recommendations for you. NewEgg lets you share a shopping cart, so that'll be handy for this exercise.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I would love ya to put together some recommendations for me...

I realize that computers do go out of date rather quickly... but im looking for somthing that today would be outstanding and in the next couple of years still be sufficient for new games that are coming out. I want it to have a decent amount of hardrive space and ram. The ram on this computer is 445 mbs I think and i'm looking for more at like a Gig on the new one. I want a machine that will still be able to hold multiple games and run well with space for various things like some songs and other programs.

I want to build it like from scratch with an lcd monitor that will be decent for gaming. I'll need everything from speakers to a keyboard. The only thing I dont think i'll need is a mouse because I have this nifty little wireless one I bought after I had the original mouse from the hp company.

On top of all these things I want somthin that is sorta "pretty". By pretty I mean seeing through the case on the side, and maybe some neon lights on the fan and on the case. But of course not spending hundreds on it. (Here's a link I found of a case that is even more then i'm asking for and is only 25 bucks... Somthing like this would be nice... but i'm not even asking for that much, just somthing that doesnt look like a regular old stock model you can get in the store. Ya know what I mean ?)

And as you said everyones PC is different. If you could help me like figure out what I want... I kinda know what I want but I dunno how to turn that into parts lol if ya know what I mean...
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I use www.sharkyextreme.com to look at their monthly recommendation for a budget computer. They look at the best system they can put together for under $1000. each month.

I just use their recommendation for parts and add/remove others til I get what I want for my clients.

This is one of their last Value Systems: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVG ... hp/3550661
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

One thing that I would warn against whenm you do get one of those nifty cases with the power supplies: Buy a good, reliable name brand PSU right away, and don't use the one that came with the case. Why you ask? Reliability, and performance. I've had more than one of those "freebie" PSUs that said they were 400W, but could not reliably deliver that much power, which led to frustrating random reboots, and undue werar and tear on my components.

A bad PSU can mean big trouble for you if you're not careful. You can do some looking, but you can generally get a good 500W PSU for around $75, and it's well worth it. I won't get into the technical reasons why, but trust me, it's just as important as having a good CPU, and good RAM. And when you see a recommendation for a certain wattage of PSU, it's only for a certain component configuration, like 1 CD drive, 1 Hard Drive, etc. You can never go wrong with having a higer Wattatge than what's recommended.

Gambit (Or Ice, can't remember) explained it to me as your PSU is like a garden hose that supplies power to your system, and sometimes your system needs more power than at other times. (Like playing Games) and if the hose isn't big enough, your system performance takes a hit, and you wind up with all kinds of problems, and you're one frustrated user. I had to learn this lesson the hard way, but I hope that you take heed, and don't have to make the same mistake I did so many years ago.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

(I think it was Asha with the example.)

Sharp, that guide from Sharky's that Ice linked to is just great. Go with the retail AMD box solution, though, because the manufacturer's HSF is easily worth more than the price diff between getting the OEM CPU and HSF seperately. Definitely get a socket 939 model as opposed to the 754. But you can drop the speed a couple hundred MHz to save some bux and you won't really notice the difference.

Getting a flatscreen instead of CRT will bump the price up by $100-200. That's your choice.

I'd get a 160 or 200 GB hard drive instead of the recommended 120. Again, it's a price choice. Brand and model are good though. RAM of 1GB on 1 stick is perfect for today and leaves room to pop in another tomorrow if you need to. The nVidia 6600 card is a great choice.

So, what you do is go to NewEgg and start putting Sharky's recommendations in your shopping cart. Then evaluate when you're done, swapping out a part here or there as needed. I say Newegg because, while they may not have the most rock-bottom price for everything, they're close enough, they're a big name, and buying everything from one place saves shipping dollars and potentially time on the phone later.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Sounds good...

BTW Thx SH for the heads up... I dont know anything like that so I prolly would have ended up screwing things up with that..
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Sharp,
When you are ready to buy...give us your budget. We will help you get the best bang for the buck...I promise.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Ight, And after I have gathered a list together I want yall to lemme know if it would be my best bet and im not paying like 100 bucks more or somthing.

Also I was wondering where do I buy like RAM cards or sticks or w/e it is that you stick in your computer. And Usually how much do they run for.

Also, Do you guys recommend a 17" monitor or should I spend more and get a 19" ? Or is it not worth it. Also are LCD's good for gaming or should I just get a flatscreen for 100 pr 200 cheaper.

On A Sidenote, I just realized for me to save up enough money will be around like 7 or 8 paychecks in the future.... which is like 14 or 16 weeks :-/ Oh Well... Ill appreciate it more when I have an uber machine I put together ! ;)
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Also another question...

Definitely get a socket 939 model as opposed to the 754. But you can drop the speed a couple hundred MHz to save some bux and you won't really notice the difference.

Whats all that mean ? Whats a socket 939 model ?And What can I drop the speed a couple hundred MHz to save some bux and wont really notice the differance ?
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Spinning Hat wrote:One thing that I would warn against whenm you do get one of those nifty cases with the power supplies: Buy a good, reliable name brand PSU right away, and don't use the one that came with the case.
Just to verify, what exactly is a PSU ? Power source somthing ?
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Lol another post :) (Making Multiples so I dont have to keep editing and makes it a Little more organized, especially if you viewed, I dont think it will say somthing new ?)

Would it be more practical to get a single CD-Rom and a Single DvD-Rom or does it matter ?

EDIT: lol just wondering, http://www.thzclan.com/gallery/xlan2004 ... %20rig.JPG in that pic, Ice whats that thing on underneath the dvd drive that looks like a radio lol ? I wondered that the first time I saw the picture. Thought this might be an appropriate thread to ask.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

In reverse order:

Let's put Ice's panel in another thread. Actually, we could probably dig up the original, but I'm not sure what keywords to search for.

Get one drive which is a DVD burner. It'll play and burn CDs, too.

PSU is Power Supply Unit.

You can buy AMD processors with different numbers of pins. Each type requires motherboards with that number of pins in the socket. Hence, the socket 939 type has 939 pins, and the 754 has 754 pins. 939 is newer; 754 will be harder to find later on. The CPU Sharky recommends in that guide is an AMD 3400, or a 3400 MHz-equivalent. First of all, a Hz, or Hertz, is a cycle per second. So a MHz, or Megahertz, is 1 million cycles per second. A GHz, or Gigahertz, is a 1000 million cycles per second. And I say equivalent because Intel used to measure processor power via the clock speed at which they ran. Anyway, you won't notice the difference between, say, an AMD64-3400 and an AMD64-3200, but the price difference may be $100. You just have to browse the catalog and see what the differences are when you're ready to order.

The RAM is included in Sharky's list. Brand and everything. :) Just find it on Newegg and read up.

Some LCDs are suitable for gaming. The cheap ones probably aren't. Personally, I am not quite comfortable using an LCD as my main screen yet, but they're getting there. Color depth is one issue I look for that some gamers often don't consider. Read some of Sharky's or Anand's reviews of LCD monitors and you'll get the idea pretty quick and can determine if that's a direction you want to go. If you go CRT, I'd definitely say 19", though.