PSU or mobo prob?

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

PSU or mobo prob?

Post by Spinning Hat »

Anyone used the easy plug feature on the new Asus mobos? I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe, and an Aspire 520W psu, and I get random reboots for no reason at all. Sometimes it's OK, then boom. Restart. Anyone use the Aspire PSU's? It's better than the Xion 400W that came in the case I'm sure... I do not have the Easy Plug plugged in, but I'm thinking of doing it. Asus PCProbe is giving good voltages on the 12V 5V and 3.3V rails... I just don't get it.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I have had spyware do that to me.

Also check for bios updates for the new MB. Might help.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I did get the Newest BIOS update for it, and that was successful. I haven't checked for spyware, but I will. I haven't had time to install anything yet... BUT - it did do that to me during the install of Winblows too, which leads me to thinking it's a hardware or configuration problem... I'll go through my power routing and make sure it's right...
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Check every connection, every plug in your case, including re-seating cards and memory. If something is loose or shorting, that might be the problem.

No chance of something metal being loose in there?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

No, all the metal in the case is securely seated... I do have 1 question tho - the case did not come with enough standoffs to mount an ATX mobo, it's missing 1. could this be the source of my problem? I don't remember ever having a problem with a missing standoff, but then again, I don't know I've ever been missing one either.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Unlikely a single missing standoff is the issue. I trust you left the hole someplace where the board wouldn't flex?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Yeah, there's no flexing in the board at all. I've been reading about the Gf6800 power reqs, and they want a dedicated cord off the PSU without any fans or anything else on it, as this thing has 2 molex connectors to power it.... I'm gonna check that when I get home, and plug in the easy plug, as it's supposed to maintain power continuity on the board for the PCI-E bus, or some such thing... At least it's not heat that's my problem.

Funny thing is - according to Asus, a 400W PSU is supposed to be sufficient for my setup, with only 2 DIMMS and 1 PCI-E vid card... So much for that nonsense.
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

Check the error log message from the reboot. It may be something software related. Also do you get reboots in game only? If so it sounds like a memory issue !
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

You should try getting that one standoff set right. I've noticed on my motherboard, when I accidentally left one of those unconnected, my computer wouldn't boot. I know it's not the same motherboard, but those things are supposed to ground at that location for a reason with as many layers as there are on a modern motherboard.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

He said he got one during windows install. Doesn't mean it's not memory related, but it'd have to be pretty bad mem to spontaneously reboot the box.

SH, my 6800 (AGP) only takes one regular power connector. I'm not sharing it with any other devices, though. I know, since yours is PCI-e it's a whole other ball game.

Asha, are you sure mobos are supposed to ground through the standoffs? I'm sure some do, whether or not they're supposed to. :)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Yep. Otherwise, they'd put plastic ones in with the motherboard when you buy it. :D

Mine are metal and the contacts on the PCB are open metal as well. When I didn't have one of them grounded, things were weird. And from doing some embedded systems work at my old job, you can have current leaks if you don't have all your ground points grounded. ;)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

The reboots happen on the desktop, and in game, etc. I haven't looked at the logs, but I will. I ran memtest on it, and it all passed... I'try some stuff today, and report my findings.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Ok, I re-ran memtest 86 with a more updated version, and there were a whole LOT of errors that were found.. 1700 or so during test 5, and another 21 during test 8... I've got an Email off to newegg to get this memory replaced....
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

You sure that the power supply isn't bad?

Realistically the only way you can tell is if you hook up an oscilloscope to it. Got one laying around?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Yeah, right.. let me just pull onwe out of my crack.... I think i got the problem fixed... I plugged in the eZ Plug to the mobo, and rerouted some power cables so the video card has it's own source not shared with anything else... Been Playing T:V on and offline for about 2 hours now without any reboots.... Here's to hoping this is actually the fix!