New Computer Time...

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Now, would you rather go to Kansas where you don't know anyone, or DFW where you can hang with the X-crew? ;)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I would love nothing more than to be able to get a job in DFW or Houston, at least close to the X-Crew. BUT, my main goal is to get hired by the FAA, and I'm willing to go wherever they want me to. Like the military, the FAA doesn't like whiners, and they essentailly control your life as to where you go, and when you get hired. This does not mean that I would be stuck in kansas till I retire however. I can put in for job swaps, or bid on open positions in facilities after I get hired and am a Full Performance Level Controller, and can try to move a little further south.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

So, I just ran 3Dmark '03 on my system and got 12646 3DMarks without any real tweaks.. is this something that sems acceptable? I've not been paying much attention to this kind of thing in a LONG time, so I'm not too sure... I do know that my old system couldn't make it past the first game test, so this is a big improvement...
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

SH: being a federal employee does have perks. I can basically apply to any DoD job anywhere in the world, and it's easier to get them once you're in the personnel system.

Most agencies have a probationary period. For my job it was one year, for laboratory jobs it's 3 years. FAA has sites all over, even in the crappiest little towns you can imagine (or the middle of the desert). There are also interchange agreements between agencies so that personnel can cross over, say from the DoD to the FBI.

Anyways, once you get in, it's easy to move around. I know a guy that moved from Edwards to Kansas to take a job with a general that he knew and wanted to work for. Then he saw another job on the east coast and decided to take it three days after getting to his new one in Kansas. He was trying to gear things so that he can get an SES job in the future (senior executive service). The thing that he always said was that the government wants you to be as happy as you can, they don't want workers that are likely to leave their jobs for the private sector.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I would hope so. Unce Sam knows you can most likely find another job similar in the pric\vate sector for more $$$ and they should want you to be happy.... But the FAA is really the only game in town for ATC, so I go where they send me at first. The probationary period for ATC is a variable one - You're on probation untill you get signed off and are a "real" controller. So it could be two years, or it could be 5.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Hat, I was browsing around looking at keyboards and yours was pretty cool, I like the illuminated keys especially! I was wondering, does the keyboard have like lil tabs on the back to raise it up at like an incline if I wanted ?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Yup, you can do that, it's really nice. I'm actually in total dark right now typing this, (While drunk) and I can see everything just fine. It's actually very comfotable to type on as well. :D