My PC is Depressing !

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Ight, so the system restore option on my computer is not the same as using the disk ? Where would I get one of these disks ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

You can't do the system restore thing without the disk. They're the same thing.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Ight, I was reading some things and it said I should burn the system restore shit onto a disk. So if I do this would it be worthwhile, or would it not get rid of all the **** on there ?

EDIT: Language ^^
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Uh, you should make the system restore disk before your system gets corrupted. If you haven't done it yet, then the files that you would make it from are already corrupted, and you would just be restoring the **** back on there.

So, sounds like system restore is a no-go for you. Formatting will work. Tedious cleaning might work.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

So what's formatting ?
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Put the install CD in. Then choose the format option.

You'll erase everything on the disk you format. And you're starting over from scratch.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I'm not even 100% sure I have an install cd. What kind ? Windows XP ?
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

If you bought a Dell, gateway or a assembled machine from a manufacturer you have a install disk, which will delete and install everyting just as it was when you bought it.

If you have a machine that someone assembled such as from a show or a computer store you will have to go into the bios (delete button on startup) change the boot order to cd-rom 1st then place the OS (xp) into the cd rom and let it run (hit any key to boot from cd rom) then it will load a bunch of files and it will ask you some ? You want to delete the partition and then install on that deleted partition. Then update windows, and install all drivers that are needed.

Good Luck ! 8)
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Woot... I tryed some system recovery thing by hitting f10 when my computer was starting up. Put everything fresh and back to new :D Happy as heck now! Throwing the sp2 on as we speak... Now whats that site to go update all the things I need to ?
MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

Sounds like a HP machine. You dont need any drivers, they are all in the restore installation. Just need to run all the security updates from windows. :idea:
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

And install the anti-virus, spyware, and firewall of your choice. :roll:
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I know, didn't even have to ask about that.

I actually took off the internet feed to this computer so nothin good get in b4 I put on the sp2. Then I got on, got a firewall and all the necessary anti-w/e programs. I then installed Norton. Ran everything and got rid of a couple things. While this was happening, I was inspired to clean my desk off! lol took nearly the whole scans! But now I have a pretty new desk and a pretty new computer ;)