My PC is Depressing !

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

MegaDeath70
Inmate

Post by MegaDeath70 »

Yea. FORMAT ! :lol:
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Most stores sell 700 MB (80 minute) CDs.

re: the ISO-
You don't "open" an ISO. (Well, you can, but that's not what you need.) You just need to open up your CD burning software and tell it to burn an image to disc. The image is the ISO file, so point it there.

So, what burning software do you use? Nero, Roxio, many others will burn ISOs. If you need it, I can find you one for download.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I don't think I've got a cd burning program.. Only things I burn are music cds and I do that through windows media player.

So this iso file can just be burned onto a disc and thats all. I don't have to worry about opening ? ( lol still confused )
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

That's correct - no open de ISO. Here's some more info and links to a free ISO burner:

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

More proggies:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Alright sounds good. I think im understandinf it now.

'KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN' this is the name of the file I downloaded. There was another iso that ended with 'DE' instead of the 'EN'. I didn't know if it made a differance so I picked the EN. Does it matter ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

EN = English
DE = Deutche (German)

Knoppix is the brainchild of Klaus Knopper, hence the name Knoppix. He's German. You'd have had lots of fun with the DE version. :)
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Wow ! I was gonna get the de version and I stopped it cause I thought it was like dutch or somthing lol ! I thought the en mighta meant english and since they were the same size I decided why not they must be the same. W00t for intuition!

So what do I after I put it on a disk. Just boot it and it will do everything itself ? Or what do I do once I boot it ?
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

XMEN Gambit wrote:When your machine boots, it probably says somewhere on the first screen or two "ESC for boot menu." Or something like that. Tap that button, and keep tapping, until you see a list of devices to boot from. Select it and go.

If you can't find such a message, you may have to go into your bios settings. There will be an option that says "boot order," and it may have such options as IDE0, IDE1, CDROM, USB, ZIP, etc. Put your CDROM ahead of your hard drive, save, and reboot.
Cd-rom was 2nd, floppy was first, and hard drive was 3rd..... so I put the cd-rom first but it still is booting from the harddrive.

EDIT: Would you think it would be easier to just reboot the whole system and start from new ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

So it's NOT booting from CD? You're going to have a problem even with Windows, then, if you try to reformat (which is what I assume you meant?)

So you burned the ISO image to CD? Note that this is different than just copying the ISO file to CD. If you have put the ISO image on it, then you'll see a bunch of different files if you just explore the CD from Windows. If you put the ISO on as a file, you'll just see the ISO file. If you properly created the disk from the ISO image and have your CDROM set to boot first, it should boot into a Knoppix screen, and eventually to a windows-like GUI. One of the things on that desktop will be a browser, so you can use that to access the internet for instructions. You'll probably want to use a proggy called f_prot to scan and clean your dirty Windows. Not sure what else; let's see if I can find a link or two...

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5118
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... _3389801_2

The second one says you can't use f-prot on an NTFS partition because of poor write-support for NTFS. (It's also a year and a half old.) However, using the Captivate tool you may be able to. Captivate uses the filesystem DLLs in your Windows directory to access NTFS, and write it properly.

There's also a link in this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=fprot
about using BartPE to do the removal. BartPE is a very dumbed-down, stripped bare MS environment that is NTFS compatible and boots from CD.

You're not alone in your problem, and a lot of people who work with computers for a living get stumped by these things all the time. I can't tell you a sure fire way to fix it but I can try to find you resources to help clean it up.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

I did mean reformat.

And I put the iso file on the cd.. not the image file or w/e. How would you do that.. ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Your burning program should have an option someplace where it says "burn from image."

Another way I've seen it work is that you set it to copy a CD, then choose the ISO as the source instead of the CD drive.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Hmmm, i'll have to try this. First i'm going to have to go to school. :) I got first day excitedness.... it'll prolly wear off by tommorow :-P
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I don't think the schoolyear blahs really get going until the first Monday of classes. :)
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

School has been more fun then I can ever remember it... All but one of my teachers are great, and very laid back. I'm liking this cause im not getting yelled at for my constant talking problem :).

Now... for business. I was thinkin alot and I thought since my computer has about 2 years of junk on it anyway... Would it be practical or worthwhile to just re-format ? The computer has an option or w/e in the control panel or somthing. Full system restore. Would this get rid of the viriuses and/or the spyware that is unable to be deleted... Or should I continue to try and struggle with the knoppix because it will work better ? Lemme know !
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Full system restore will likely require the original OEM disk and put the system back in the state it was when you bought it. You'll want to patch it immediately up to the latest from MS because it'll be vulnerable as heck.