Was bored so....

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Was bored so....

Post by Sharpster »

... I threw my GeForce2 into this computer...

Everything seemed to go well, got it put in and closed and re-hooked up fairly quick.

So im in the bios and it for the graphics/vid card or w/e it said gave me the option of either PCI ( no idea what that is ) and the other option was AGP/Onboard.

First I switched it to AGP/Onboard and and plugged my monitor into the G2... then screen wouldnt work so i plugged it into the regular onboard vid card and the screen worked...

Puzzled, I then went back into the bios and switched it back to PCI and then plugged the monitor into the Geforce again... Still the screen wouldnt work...

So I plugged the monitor back into the regular onboard vid card slot and the screen worked....

So pretty much either setting the screen would not come up while plugged into the GeForce but would come up on either setting plugged into the onboard....

I looked to see if there was somthin along the lines of Disable Onboard Graphics or Vid Card but there was nothing of that sort...

I did notice somthin saying Onboard 1349 (think those were the numbers I know their close) and that said enable and disable but I didnt mess with that cause wasn't entirely sure what it was...

Does anyone have any bright ideas or input ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

1394 is firewire. Not what you're looking for.

There are two kinds of expansion slots in your motherboard - AGP and PCI. There's only one AGP slot and it's the one closest to your CPU.

There should be an option in the bios for disabling the onboard graphics. First, though, make sure that your vid card is plugged in properly. It won't be under standard or advanced configuration, but should be under the option containing the word "peripherals." I think.

If your GeForce is a PCI card you won't need to turn off the onboard, just set it to start the PCI card first like you did. In that case it sounds like something is wrong with the card or it's not plugged in right.
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Inside the case there were 3 empty slots, 2 of which my card would fit into...

I placed it in the one that was on the outside so it was my card... empty slot.... somthin already in there and then the bottom of the case...

So then when I tried it in the slot that is currently plugged in I tried all those differant combinations as I mentioned b4... then I put it into the other slot ( the one below it ) and none of the combinations at all worked the screen wouldn't come up so I simply concluded that , that slot was incorrect.

By this time I was frustrated and just put it back into the slot above and plugged it into the onboard with pci set (default) and made sure it worked and went to sleep...

Im planning to pull it all out tonight and try the differant combinations again incase I missed somthing, and ima try and see whats up with that other slot....
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Most likely you have an integrated AGP video card. If you have two slots the GeForce fits in then it has to be a PCI card. You only get one AGP card on a motherboard and apparently the integrated card is using it. So make sure that your BIOS says use the PCI as the primary. Now you could keep both running and run a dual monitor setup under windows.

You really need to have a new motherboard and vid card running off the AGP slot. PCI gaming cards are really hampered by the lack of bandwidth in a PCI slot. The AGP slot bypasses the main bus and has direct access to the processor. Thus speeding up graphics.

Have fun!
Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Well after figuring out what I did, I concluded I made the simplest mistakes that I thought I wouldn't have made and got everything perfect that I didn't think I would've :P

My computer has 3 pci slots... and one was taken up by somthin that we dont use but im thinkin it had somthin to do with dial-up because it said "line" under it. That was taking up the slot furthest from the agp slot.
So I thought about it, and switched the Vid Card and that Dial-up thing and BOOM ( Heh I sound like John Madden :roll: ) it worked the way it should've...

Ight so i'm psyched I've figured out what was stumping me and I decide hey, lets play that single-player game on T:V.

So I start the 4 disc installation :cry: and about halfway through the first disc it says.... blah blah blah cant load "data1.cfg" or somthin and it probably because somthing wrong with the disc, or windows installation program couldn't read the disc blah blah blah....

I remember somthin like this the first time I tried to put it on my computer way back when it came out..

So I ejected the disc and looked at it, and there was a scratch about a cm. deep and cm. wide on my disc... very noticable even though it was so small... I'm so ticked lol

So anyway, this video store up the street called Cranbrook Video closed up... they had this nifty little machine that fixed scratchs and cleaned any dvd, video game, or computer game you stuck in there.... Well that store has closed up...

Does anyone know a way I can get this disc maybe fixed, cleaned, etc. without taking it back (bought it when it first came out, dunno if they still would take it back) or having to call Sierra ?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

There are a number of "disc doctor" or "game doctor" products on the market. A consumer electronics or music store should be able to provide you with a polishing solution. If they charge more than $20, it should be very spiffy.