PC-cillin and home network

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

deth_blow

PC-cillin and home network

Post by deth_blow »

I have 3 computers at home networked. On the PC which has the shared internet connection, I changed from MacAfee to Pc-cillin Internet Security 2005. Since then the other two computers have not been able to "see" this computer nor obtain internet access. D/C'ing the firewall does not help.
Setup: Main PC: Win 2000 Pro, another has XP, another running Win 98. Internet comes to cable modem then to main pc. Main pc is hooked up to Dlink active switch as are the other 2 PC's. I swapped that out and put in a friend's Dlink and no change. Xbox hooked up to hub won't connect to Live.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!! Is there a setting in PCcillin I'm missing? (I choose Network Security > Enable personal firewall > Direct Connection. Both my cards show up in the "devices" window. I do not have the "default gateway" option checked (but checking it doesn't help either).
Thanks in advance.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hiya, DB! I'm going to repeat back what I think you said about your network setup, so correct me if I've got it wrong.

You do NOT have a router. You have a main PC with two ethernet ports, one is the direct conenction to the cable modem, and the other port is for your internal LAN (connected by the DLINK switch). You're using internet connection sharing on the main PC so that the internal computers can access the internet.

There are multiple opportunities for a problem here, but we'll start with what seems to be the primary one now. You say the computers on the LAN can't "see" the main system. I assume you mean browsing your Network Neighborhood and/or accessing shared drives. It also stopped working when you changed your security software. I would venture a guess and say that your main computer's LAN-side IP address or DHCP settings got changed by the installation. (Do you have the main PC set up as a DHCP server on the LAN side, or fixed IPs?) If you know how to check that stuff, do so and get back to us here. If you don't, I'll explain below. :)

On the main PC, get to a command prompt (start->run, type "CMD" and hit enter), then type "IPCONFIG /ALL" You'll see a list of info on your ethernet connections. Please post this. Then do the same thing on your XP computer, and post that too. The Win98 machine will work a little differently, so don't worry about that one just yet.