FireFox partial download

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Jester
Inmate

FireFox partial download

Post by Jester »

I downloaded Americas Army with Firefox. During the 700+ MB download my computer b0rked and I had to restart. I ended up with a partial download on the desktop (where I download everything to) I can't delete. It says file still in use by an application blah blah...

So, now I have a 0kb file on the desktop that doesn't do anything and I can't delete.
I have tried uninstalling Firefox, stopping all but necessary processes, zero applications running (I am using Windows xp pro) and it still thinks the file is being used.

Question: Can I schedule a file to be deleted upon restart. Or is there a way to trick XP into deleting it.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

I dunno... can you use a DOS boot disk and delete it in DOS?
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

oooh, how do i create a DOS boot disk for XP?
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Some options:

When you said restart, did you mean reboot your machine or restart the download? I'd think a reboot would fix the problem.

One would be to check your file system's integrity. In other words, run a checkdisk ("chkdsk" from the command line), which may turn up something you can fix with the /F parameter.

Another is to use a Knoppix boot disk, "Captivate" your Windows drive (so you can safely write to it) and delete the file.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Either that, or reload firefox. Then do not open firefox, but instead, double click on the file fragment. It should open up the download window. Once in there, you can highlight the file and cancel it (and delete it). The file fragment should go away. It's just a locked file that is basically a pointer to the actual download (as I understand it).