.mp3 player for linux? (and linux questions)

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

.mp3 player for linux? (and linux questions)

Post by BlackRider »

I've been trying to play .mp3 files on my linux install and I can't figure it out. :(
When I double click on an .mp3 it opens Helix player but it tells it can't play .mp3s and it suggests RealPlayer. I won't use RealPlayer any more because (at least in the windows version) it installs much more than RealPlayer (I got nine kinds of spyware!). Then I tried xmms and it says that .mp3 playback has been disabled due to copyright issues or something. Is this just the RedHat/Fedora version? That's what I guessed because other people were useing xmms for mp3s. So I tried downloading another version... now what? It says something about compiling and I'm too tired to think right now. Don't they have linux programs that you can just extract and run? I'll figure this out some day.

(I think its funny that I can get a Japanese IME running and even work most of the menus in Japanese, but I can't even figure out how play .mp3's or .wav's. :(

Sorry if I'm not making any sense... I'm really tired but can't sleep for some reason. :\
(Maybe I'll actually get to sleep before 4 a.m. tonight... not sure though.)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

er, I use Debian. There's a media player there that works fine but is ugly. XMMS works great though. Sorry, can't help you much with RH/FC.

I have seen mention of this issue, though, so if you search around the net you should be able to find something helpful.

BTW, with Debian-based distributions, downloading and installing something is very simple:

Code: Select all

apt-get install packagename
does the trick, and there are numerous GUI tools to do the same thing. It takes care of getting any dependent packages automatically.