I'm going to try the linux thing again...

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

I'm going to try the linux thing again...

Post by BlackRider »

I want to do a dual-boot for my laptop. I only have a 30 gig hd and I want 20 gig for XP. UC's College of Engineering requred an XP/Red Hat dual boot. I had Red Hat on an old box for a while, but got bored of it. I figure maybe I should give linux a second chance.

What I want to use it for:
programming
spread sheets
word processing
web browsing (possibly & wireless)

can't think of what else atm...

ATM, I'm debating fedora or mandrake or maybe even Red Hat 9

Any ideas?
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I wouldn't use RH9, it's old and not so well supported. FC would be better, IMO, if you like RH.

Mandrake might be OK. I know there were some problems with 10.0 or early 10.1 versions, but they may well be under control by now.

How about Ubuntu?
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

I've downloaded FC, so I'm going to try that tonight. (I won't have internet again until later tomorrow.)

I guess I'll have to look up unbunu tomorrow.

Got to go now... but will be burning back up disks all night. :)

*edit* this was easier than I had imagined... I got my wireless setup in the blink of an eye.
Now that I've got web browsing down, its time to figure out the rest of this OS. :)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Linux has made huge strides in the last year or two. It's getting there.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Question: The second time I booted linux today it ran constantly at 90% CPU usage for 5-10 minutes. It didn't do that the first time I booted it. What was it doing? I couldn't find a way to see the processor usage of each task... so I had no idea what was hogging my resources.

Also, I know how to open terminal windows, but what if I want to unload the GUI and just work in text mode?

Thanks.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Well, you don't actually even have to unload the gui. Just use ALT-F1 thru ALT-F6 (sometimes more, sometimes less) to switch between sessions.

As far as unloading X itself, without restarting/rebooting/etc, that kind of depends on the window manager you're using.

You could edit the init file - don't remember which one offhand - to prevent X from loading in the first place, but that would of course require a reboot.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Well, you don't actually even have to unload the gui. Just use ALT-F1 thru ALT-F6 (sometimes more, sometimes less) to switch between sessions.

As far as unloading X itself, without restarting/rebooting/etc, that kind of depends on the window manager you're using.

You could edit the init file - don't remember which one offhand - to prevent X from loading in the first place, but that would of course require a reboot.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Gambit likes to repeat himself.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Heh. One of those "no response from the browser" situations... :)