HELP :)

Wanna understand E=mc2, English grammer, or maybe just build a computer? We can help!

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpster
Inmate

Post by Sharpster »

Dont think I went on any diff sites then normal.

What programs do you use for ad/spyware ? And for Virus ?

My pc was fine the night I went to sleep... then next day i woke up andfirefox just didnt work... so i dunno
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I really don't know the answer. Stuff like that doesn't happen to me because I don't let websites run things without asking me, I always set up my browser to ask me, and I use Firefox (or Google bar, or Popup blocker, at various times in my history) so I don't get popups, and I have a hardware router/firewall with no open ports and no WAN-side ping response. I'm just trying to explain what I do for prevention, and why I'm not able to help you quite as quickly as either of us would like, not to blame you for the problem.

I use AVG anti-virus now, used to use Norton till they started screwing with the rebates. I use Ad-aware for spyware removal. I turn off unnecessary services with msconfig or otherwise.

Try booting in safe mode. Run msconfig and find what's starting automatically, also look at the task manager. Write 'em down or store them somewhere, or use another computer to Google for the service name or exe name. Turn off anything suspicious or not found or that you just don't need. Restart and check again. That will catch a lot of issues, though not all.

Whatever happened could have easily happened during the session before you found things not working, and become "active" only after the restart. So really try to remember anything different that day.

Hey, do you have automatic updates, for windows or other programs, turned on? Possible one of them loaded something that broke your FF? Are there any windows updates you haven't loaded? Maybe you got hit with a known vulnerability?