First pano

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

First pano

Post by Spinning Hat »

I didn't want to take AB's post from him, so here's my first Pano using autostitch from my trip to LA. It was taken 3/4 the way up Palos Verdes just south of Redondo Beach, CA. In this shot you can see from a wasy sout of redondo all the way north across the bay to Malibu. It had rained the night before, so we got lucky and had a relatively clear day on Los Angeles. :D This is sized down about 30% of the original, and was made from 11 shots or so.

Nikon D40, ISO 200, f/8-9 @ 55mm
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

That's a really good pano, Hat. The boundaries are not obvious at all. Did you use a tripod?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Thanks! The wife and I are thinking about printing this, but dunno how big we can go with he image we have. The actual dimensions are something like just under 11k pixels wide and 2k tall...No tripod either. :D I had it in the car, but didn't bring it out, as we didn't stop there long. This was made up of about 10 or 11 shots all plugged into Autostitch. I actually had to do some cropping of this shot, as there was a lot more of the beach that came through, but there wasn't anything next to the waves.
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Very nice shot, SH!

I live on the other side of those mountains in the background. :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Thanks. ;) I don't get a whole ton of 'wow' pictures, but when I do, they surprise even me sometimes. :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

So, I went over to the local Camera shop today and had this bad boy printed... I had to 'create' an image for this to be pasted on to, because the photo printing software doesn't recognize a panorama when it sees it.. So I created a 30x24 image and took it in.. It was phenomenal. 30" wide, and it came out to be about 6 1/4 inches tall.. Not as tall as I expected, but the aspect ratio was right on, and everything looked proportional and right. Not too bad for $32. I could have easily gone 36 or larger and it still would've looked great. I just might start doing these more for fun. I really like the effect when it's printed.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

very nice! now I want to try a pano :cry:
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Blame it on AB. ;) I saw his, and knew I had taken some pics to do one, but finally got off my arse to do it.