MX - some different perspectives and panning practice

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

MX - some different perspectives and panning practice

Post by XMENPorsche »

Went out to Village Creek today for about 1½ hours. I wanted to play with a few new camera settings, practice some panning, and try shooting a few from a different perspective (for me, anyway). As always, C&C are appreciated. If anyone can give me some tips on how to keep from blowing out the whites while keeping the rest of the image properly exposed, I would mucho appreciate it. My metering mode was matrix.

1 (I shoulda went with a faster shutter speed on this one)

11 (Aaron)

As always, it's a blast to go out there and shoot.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

More great stuff! I put this on TPF too:

Overall: 2, 10, & 17 are my favorites.

2 is a beautiful, tightly framed action shot! Love it! The only thing that could have made it better would have been a slightly faster shutter speed. Everything is so perfectly frozen except for that front tire.

10 may have more than a thousand words to say. The helmet is so tack sharp, his eyes are so focused (well, the one anyway), and it really brings out the bumpy ride along with the horizontal motion.

17 would be absolutely stunning if it wasn't for the loss of detail in the hot whites and something in the lower left third of the frame... it looks like glare from the sun, but it could be a cloud of dust (like the one in #16, but thinner). Even though I've never shot MX before, I can see that getting a panning shot with both the bike and rider sharp has to be quite difficult (and maybe more luck). So, great shot!

They're all great shots, but those three really stand out for me. (And look! I didn't have anything to complain about with #10!)

Side note: You know, photography has completely ruined my ability to enjoy most images... rather than see the image, I'm too busy picking out flaws. :-S
(Though I guess that makes the really great photos all the more enjoyable!)
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I really like that #17, myself. And yes, it's dust.