Great day at the track

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

Great day at the track

Post by XMENPorsche »

Went back out to my favorite MX stomping grounds today (Village Creek) and could not believe the number of bikes they had running organized practice today. I thought it was a race day or something. Anyway, VC has been making a LOT of changes and it's been a blast finding new vantage points and angles to shoot from. I was very pleased with some of my captures from today. Still, I'm always willing to listen to C&C from anyone that sees things that I can improve. Thanks!

Thanks for looking.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Every time I think you're as good as anyone can get at MX, you come back with something better! I love the panning shots and the #2 shot.

I'm 90% sure it's just my monitor, but 1, 9, & 12 seem to have small sections of whites are appear blown out. The only one where I find it distracting is in #1 with the white section of rear fender on the closest bike. But I'm really nit-picking here, and it's probably just my monitor.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I like 2 because I find it humorous and that's not what you normally see from MX shots. Did you get dirt on your lens? :)

I like 3 because he's looking right at you.

The impact in 5 gets my attention.

And your panning shots are good, as usual.
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

BlackRider wrote:Every time I think you're as good as anyone can get at MX, you come back with something better! I love the panning shots and the #2 shot.

I'm 90% sure it's just my monitor, but 1, 9, & 12 seem to have small sections of whites are appear blown out. The only one where I find it distracting is in #1 with the white section of rear fender on the closest bike. But I'm really nit-picking here, and it's probably just my monitor.
BR - thanks so much for the kind words! This was a particularly good day at the track and I'm glad that the images came out as well as they did.

As for the blown out white sections.... yeah, they're blown alright. It's not your monitor. That seems to be one of my greatest challenges in shooting white in direct sunlight.

Gambit - Did I get dirt on my lens? No, but I got plenty on me. In fact, if you're shooting MX and you DON'T get dirty then you're not doing it right.

Number 3 has received some chuckles at another board. I'm guessing that you recognize that the rider is Aaron. The folks on the MX board that he runs is calling that his, "Goon Shot".

Capturing the landing in #5 was pure luck, but it's one of the first images that caught my attention in post. I love it.

Panning shots - about ½ of the shots that I take at an MX track are motion blurs. I practice them more than just about anything else. Glad to see that it's starting to show.