Field of Valor

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

Field of Valor

Post by XMENPorsche »

I went to DFW National Cemetary today for the first time. VERY moving experience if you take the time to understand what those men and women did for this country. I had tears in my eyes. Not sure if the image below does any justice at all to the place but I gave it a shot anyway.

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

The obvious cloudy sky and spot of color in the flag help your effect. I think the sharp shadows detract, though, at least from that angle. Need more overcast so there aren't the shadows, or maybe a longer-shadowed morning/evening pic.

I was wondering how it'd look with the other flags colored as well? Part of me really wants to get a lot of color in the flag(s), and another part wants to really mute the colors
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

I didn't notice the shadows until you mentioned it Gambit. I like it as is. But more color on the flag can't hurt.
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

I try to use selective colorization ONLY when I'm trying to draw attention to a particular element. The flag at ½ staff is in color because I wanted to draw attention to the fact that it IS at ½ staff, and of the constant memorial for our fallen heroes. My first version of this image had all of the flags in color. I wasn't happy with it because it came off looking like selective colorization for the sake of selective colorization. Kinda gimmicky and something I try to avoid.

As for the shadows, wasn't a whole lot I could do about that given the fact that it was a bright, sunny day about mid-afternoon. I agree with your assessment, though. I wish it would have been more overcast. It would have added to the overall tone that I was trying for with this image.