Blue Jackets vs. Sharks (pics added)

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

Blue Jackets vs. Sharks (pics added)

Post by BlackRider »

1100 shots and I left after the 2nd period...

I didn't get anything spectacular, or even print worthey, but I did learn some lessons about hockey. Even things I supposedly already knew.

#1, dont dont dont dont try and follow the puck! I can't be done, especially through that little window they give you. Follow the star players (they're the ones you want pictures of anyway), or sit and watch the goalie.

#2, when watching the goalie, don't wait for the goalie to dive. Start shooting the instant he twitches. You'll waste lots of frames, but you're much more likely to catch a good moment.

#3, w/ a 1.6x crop, a 70-200mm lense is great. Except... it doesn't go wide enough for when they're in your face and it doesn't go tight enough for the other end of the rink.

#4, there is little point in bringing two camera bodies if you leave on in the bag the whole game. Wear both! Put the long lense on the good camera and a wide one on your backup.

#5, ALWAYS use manual exposure!!! With the horrible lighting and tonnes of background light-noise, you will wind up with lots of variety in your exposures... i.e. junking some otherwise good shots.

#6, expose for the ice, not the players. Expose to get good detail in the ice. If you expose for the players the ice will blow out. pure white ice = ugly & distracting

that's all I can think of right now, but I'll upload some pics after class. :D

Pics: (2nd to last one made it into the school paper)
DarkKnife
Inmate

Post by DarkKnife »

Sorry but had to notice this. In your forth shot the guy in white checking the other looks like hes blowing in his ear.
:)
Over all nice shots though.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I'd say you did a superb job for your first time shooting a hockey game!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Nice shots. :D #4 looks more like a kiss than whispering sweet nothings...
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Thanks, and that's the only reason I included the fourth one... it does look like a kiss.

This week I do soccer... and a night game at that!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Well, it may be dark, but you should be able to catch that big white ball... ;)

BTW, someone on Dallas Craigslist was selling a Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) for about $700 last week. No way you could use it for hockey or night games, but they take nice daylight shots.