got a free-lance photog position w/ the school paper

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

got a free-lance photog position w/ the school paper

Post by BlackRider »

and my first assignment is a hockey game! and not just any hockey game, but a Blue Jackets game!!! Can you say, "free frontrow seats"?!

...now I just have to learn how to get good hockey shots. Time to start looking for a place to rent lenses too. Maybe a 100-400mm... though my 75-300mm did OK last hockey game I shot (ECHL Cyclones game) and that was from 1/2 way up the stands. hrmmmm.....
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Porsche will have more hockey tips for you, I'm sure, as he likes to attend the Stars games. I've never even attended a hockey game, but two important points I've heard that I'll pass along:

1) You need a fast lens, like your 50mm. And as high ISO as you can stand. If you rent a long lens, probably shouldn't be slower than f/2.8. (Strictly MHO: I'd think a 200mm would be plenty.)

2) You'll need to set your exposure compensation a stop or two high, since all the white ice will trick the camera, and if you let it go you'll get nice pics of the ice but very dark players.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Ok, this is my current situation:
A friend is letting me borrow her 40D and a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM!!!!
One comment on that lense.... it is HEAVY, I don't think I can handhold this thing for an entire period. I think I'll have to invest in a mono-pod because I don't think I'll have room for my tri-pod. (The lense alone weighs 3.25 lbs... which is about 1/2 of what my laptop weighs.)

What I've been told so far is:
* shoot at f/2.8 w/ as fast a shutter speed as you can
* set a custom WB b/c Auto WB usually can't cope w/ hockey arena lighting
* ISO 1600 is practically manditory
* keep shooting after the action... catch the emotion

Also... the fun part is that I am supposed to caption all my shots. So I have to stop and take notes during that game so I can include period, player names, etc. :? I'll have to pester my brother for key players and what-not.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Do some research before the game on player names and numbers, that way you can write home 18 does X to away 6 and you don't have to worry about names till after. (timesavers) Hockey is a fast paced sport and ya need to pay attention.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Use a voice recorder. You can get one fairly cheap - much much cheaper than camera equip.

And you better treat that L lens with kid gloves. I've owned cars that cost less than some of the L series. :)
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Gambit... my first 3 cars combined cost less than the equipment I get to take to this hockey game. I'm quite excited. :D

I get to take a Canon 40D w/:
70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
and my lenses:
50mm f/1.8
my dad's lenses:
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
75-300mm f/4-5.6
my dad's camera:
Canon 350D

all this equipment and no monopod... :? I'm going to play around with that 70-200 handheld today to see if I am going to have to put a monopod on the c.c. Darned thing weighs so much. Good news is that I found one for $19.99.

Thanks for the tips guys. I still have to remember to put a notepad and couple pens in the camera bag.