More shots around campus... studying reflections

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

BlackRider
Inmate

More shots around campus... studying reflections

Post by BlackRider »

You'll see real quick that I've been to see the ducks again... but then I tried something new and started photographing buildings.

Fountain: (w/ as long of an exposure as I could manage)

Reflections:
ImageImage

Though most of the reflections aren't quite as good as I was hoping to get. (They are for a photo class project.) So, I need to try again sometime... :-S
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

If I may make a composition suggestion, and if you don't mind me commenting on something I've done very little of :) :

There are some fascinating things you can do with reflection shots. If your goal is to get a reflection shot, great, but you can look for ways to make the reflection more than just a reflection. Perhaps a combination of foreground, reflective surface, and reflected object will form a recognizable shape or pattern if you position yourself just so - or maybe just with some obvious element missing. (Sometimes the absence of a thing is more striking than its presence. Like in music, an incomplete chord progression.) Maybe by standing on a wall you can get a picture of a pond reflecting a building reflecting something else.

Easy to say, harder to do. Just things to think on. (Yes, I did notice the plane. :) )
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Funny how with your fountain picture, there is no movement from the person on the bench.

I think I agree with Gambino. The reflection shots can be so much more.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Ok, I'm not quite sure what you mean Gambit. Could you provide some examples? I'll hunt around and see what I can find today with clear skies. Also, I was focusing on reflections in glass... but I'll see what I can find in the water too.

Oh, and these are a few that I rejected:

I really ought to bring a bottle of Windex with me tomorrow. :-S
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Ok...I want to see what you and your brother look like now. Just so I have an idea of what you guys look like. The reflections study made me curious. :)
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

hahahaha... but I've been trying so hard to find reflections that don't include me :roll:

idk if I can get a picture of DK as he's in Cincinnati
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

An example.... Ok, for an easy (weak) one, let's take simple bilateral symmetry. Say you've got a McDonald's across the street from a building full of reflective windows. You could arrange yourself so you can only see one golden arch with the other half blocked by the building, and so that together with the reflection in the window it forms the whole. There's a lot of difference between that, and simply getting a pic of the McD's sign reflected in the window.

Not very creative, but illustrates the point.

Notice how in your reject photo #2 you have all kinds of double, maybe triple reflections from the various layers of glass? I bet you could find something interesting to do with that. I found myself digging through the stoplights trying to figure out what the intersection being reflected looked like. Again, not the best example, but I was really engaged for a few moments.

You're the photographer, so you need to set your own goals. Are you trying to be artistic, or are you trying to document a unique perspective, or are you taking travel snapshots? None of those are "bad," but they are all different. If you're taking photos for yourself, it doesn't matter what I think, or the newspaper editor thinks, or the man on the street things. But if you're taking them for someone else, try to find some way to grab their interest, at least momentarily. Variations on symmetry are one way of many to do that.
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

That "intersection" is in front of Hitchcock Hall and isn't an intersection at all as there are no connecting streets. Those lights are there for the sole purpose to let people cross the street without being hit. The building in the reflection is part of the Business School, or also known as Fisher College.

The first pic of the reflections is the Architecture building being reflected off the stair well of the garage behind it.

The second pic of the reflections appears to be off the RPAC and catching the back side of the Shoe.

The third is the Physics building with something of a look at Smith Labs and Scott Labs. (I basically live in Scott Labs for my Major)

The remaining pics are of the RPAC, either reflecting off it self.

You got close to where I was, or most likely was. You may want to try to use the new windows on Archer House to catch some shots. Either that or the new Buffalo Wild Wings at Lane and High.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

TimberWolf wrote:... the new Buffalo Wild Wings at Lane and High.
I ate at one of those for the first time today! Was yummy.