Okay, back to Village Creek for more MX shots - LOTS o Pics

Non-'puter stuff. Photography, hot rods, or tropical fish for example

Moderator: Moderators

XMENPorsche
Inmate

Okay, back to Village Creek for more MX shots - LOTS o Pics

Post by XMENPorsche »

Went back out to VC on the 19th for their organized practice. Came away with quite a few decent shots, plus almost got run over to boot!

This first one is of a guy names Britt. He's the head of security at VC and is a great guy! A couple of weeks ago while I was out there shooting a race he hauled me around a bit on the back of his 4-wheeler. My feet and back thanked him.

Britt

These next few are of some of the smaller riders. These kids probably range in age from 7 to 11 or so. Don't let their young age fool you, though.... they can really hustle around the track!

The rest are of some of the older, more experienced riders. A couple of them really put on a show for the camera. Soon as they see ya hanging out by the track with a big lens they start throwing whips. Some very good riders out there!

Honest C&C always welcome!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Heh. #16 seems to want to make sure you're getting all this. :)
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

His name is Marshall Smith and he is a very good rider. It's almost like he was posing for the shot during a few of his jumps. Gotta love riders like that.

I'm thinking of heading back out there Saturday afternoon. Give me a buzz if you're interested.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You get any crash pics? Sometimes even little screw ups look pretty cool on camera. I can't imagine spending a whole day at the MX track and not seeing somebody fall...
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

I see people fall all the time. I just choose not to shoot the accident. They're (the track and the riders) kinda senstive about that kind of thing seeing as how two riders have been killed since the middle of April out there.
Defiance.enD

Post by Defiance.enD »

Great stuff!

What a shame those folks decided to park in your bg. :)

Not sure what your posture was, but do you ever get lower to eliminate the objects behind your shooting zone ?
Defiance.enD
aka TxCowboy[DTM]
http://www.vancewhitephotography.com
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

Such is the nature of shooting at some of these tracks. At Village Creek there is almost no shooting angle that will allow you to totally eliminate spectators, power lines, light poles, vehicles, etc. If you look at the majority of MX photos taken at local tracks they all have that kind of stuff in them.
Defiance.enD

Post by Defiance.enD »

Let's try this again.

Hope I don't sound like I'm talking out of my stetson.

But have you thought of shooting later in the evening, and dragging your shutter and using second curtain flash ?

I think this could give you some amazing effects to your images.

Hope this doesn't double post as the page died for me during my first attempt at posting this.
Defiance.enD
aka TxCowboy[DTM]
XMENPorsche
Inmate

Post by XMENPorsche »

Trust me, Vance, I've only shot MX about 6 times now and am still figuring out all of the possibilities. I bought some Pocket Wizards specifically with the idea of setting my flash up remotely and going for some creative lighting. I'm still working on my timing, though.

Feel free to come on up and go shooting anytime you want! I think it would rock if we could go do some shots together.
Defiance.enD

Post by Defiance.enD »

That would be too much fun! :)

We'll have to exchange phone numbers.

I'll PM you mine.
Defiance.enD
aka TxCowboy[DTM]