New Video Card

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Iceman

New Video Card

Post by XMEN Iceman »

So my daughter has been bugging me about her computer being slow playing games. I am giving her my ATI HD 6770 card. Plus for Christmas I am getting a Triple Monitor Mount for my desk. So I needed a card that will support the Eyefinity setup.

I am currently real close to the MicroCenter here in Fairfax, VA and looked at their closeouts/open box items and they had a great deal on an AMD HD 7870 for $143. So I grabbed it. I will put it in this weekend and see what happens.

Per Anandtech's GPU Card comparison site at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/536?vs=548 I should get double the framerate performance.

We shall see!!!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

That's a good price! If I had read a little bit more, the R9 270x is just a 7870 with a little faster clock and faster GDDR..
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've had a 7850 for a while and it's been good.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

The best part was getting there and realizing that it is the Sapphire HD 7870 OC (overclocked) version with 2GB of RAM, plus they had a mail in rebate for another $15 off. I am rocking now!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Nice! Gotta love it when it's better than advertised. :)
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Hey, that's what I've got. Works beautifully. Solid at least 70fps in T:A. :D

What are "other games"???
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Asha, what settings? UPS has failed me yet again, and I am sitting here with a brand new Case and no components to go with it.. Hopefully Monday. :)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Honestly... I think everything is maxed.

Yep. Just checked...

Graphics Detail: Very High
Texture Detail: Very High
Screen Type: Fullscreen
Resolution: 16:9
VSYNC: Disabled
Framerate Smoothing: Enabled
Motion Blur: Disabled

My .ini file is also modified to allow max frame rate of 120 fps (happens on quite a few maps). And my boot drive an a samsung SSD, but everything not considered an OS is on a 640 GB WD Caviar Black.

My gaming rig is an Athlon X4 955 BE, with 8GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Pro. I have also seen it run on my file server (AMD A6 5400 APU, 16 GB RAM, windows 7 in a VM in linux). The framerate isn't as high, but still very playable... still very high detail settings, but drops down to about 40 fps with a peak of 70 fps.

And yes, I have had the framerate counter going and hit 120 fps... on my gaming rig, but that was during map transitions.

My weak point these days is my cable connection.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

I have Vsync on, but think I might disbale it, see how it does. I saw you online last night for about 10 minutes, then you logged off. Maybe I'll catch you next time :)