Duster/Cyclone

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Iceman

Duster/Cyclone

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Part of the problem you are having playing Tribes: Ascend is that the Gateway you are running only has the Intel HD video chipset. It is horrible at displaying 3D graphics.

If you can swing it I would strongly recommend for about $55 (after rebate) you buy this Asus Radeon 6570 video card because it will fit that mini case and it will make every game playable and smooth for you.

Here is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... hics-Cards

I will probably blow you away how much better it will run.
Last edited by XMEN Iceman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

Those mini cases also have tiny and WEAK power supplies. Most video cards require 300W or more as a minimum for the whole rig.

Unfortunately, there is nothing on that page to suggest wattage requirement on the card.
CyClone

Thanks

Post by CyClone »

Will look into it, have to stop eating out for a bit probably to swing it :)

FYI: I did put XMEN tag on so let me know how much I disgrace you :p

John
aka Duster/CyClone
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

:D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by XMEN Gambit »

CyClone wrote:FYI: I did put XMEN tag on so let me know how much I disgrace you :p
Woohoo!
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Once you get the card in go to www.amd.com and run the automated driver detection tool to get the latest video drivers for it. Will make a performance difference.

Here is the link to it:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... etect.aspx

Some people are running this card on a 220 watt powersupply so I think you will be ok. The card consumes 44 watts under load.

David
Last edited by XMEN Iceman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Also, what video resolution are you running in Tribes? You can probably crank it up some with the new video card and get better details for sniping and shooting now.

D
CyClone

Yeah

Post by CyClone »

Running 800x600 atm :\
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

You will definitely be able to crank that up!!!
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

I ran that for a LONG time before I could get an AMD Radeon 7870. When I finally switched from a MAX of 14 fps in most maps (6 average), then I actually thought I played better. I think it's because I only had a few frames to think about where people would be when I would press fire; I could do some pretty good mortar shots and disc shots, but couldn't hit anything with any of the machine-gun type of weapons. But get me in a duel with someone, and I'd usually lose.

I would recommend turning off the shake effect and any video processing kind of stuff till you get your new card. v sync off, but it doesn't matter with a low frame rate too much. Also, once you get your new card, try using the resolution settings for your monitor first, with all the anti-aliasing settings off, and push all the details settings up to max and shadows on. Then turn off a few things if it seems a bit jittery.

Definitely keep shadows on with the new card though... sometimes it's the only way to see where someone is without making a best guess. By the way, with my previous experience playing with extremely low frame rates, I think I'm pretty good at doing a best guess for where someone is when I get into a duel with them.

Now I get at least 80 fps most maps, with all details maxed. And it's a high enough frame rate that I can take potshots at folks as I pass them when running/jetting over to the enemy base.

Also! you held your own pretty well against some of those more advanced players on that server we were on the other night. I think they would have been VERY impressed with your abilities given your system specs.
CyClone

Well, didn't fit :(

Post by CyClone »

Got the card but it doesn't fit in my dumb case. I am soooooooooo bummed right now :(

Thanks all for trying :)

John
Aka Duster/CyClone
CyClone

YAY!

Post by CyClone »

Thanks to Iceman, we figured it out :)

I am soooooo HAPPY now :)

Thanks bud,

John
aka Duster/CyClone
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

anytime dude...I think it will make you much more effective. Smoother play and higher resolution improves your aim, etc.

D
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Dude... you were playing pretty well tonight. Sorry had to leave, had some wifey business to attend to. ;)