Life.

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

Toltec wrote:I drop in every few months and read the posts. I have been married 9 years now, and I have 3 kids (2 boys, 6 and 4; and a 4 month old daughter). Still hate my job and still wish I had done something with computers. Such is life.
Good to see you! I'm married almost 2 years(divorce pending :( ) we have a daughter together, and she has 2 sons( 3, 10, 12). I also didn't go into computers, but I'm about a year and a half from having a Computer Engineering Degree with specialization in Cybersecurity/forensics(at age 38 )
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Hehe.

Have 3 boys, married 5.5 years. Still an engineer with DoD, but work for a (mostly idioticly managed) agency that oversees contractors. It's something that pays the bills. I'm trying to get a job with the Navy at the base where I work: either an engineering position (testing, R&D), or some kind of business operations. Most of the Navy folks seem to like me, and they've wanted to hire me, it's just very competitive (especially in this job market).

It's getting to the point where my agency's management is figuring out more creative ways to sabotage their own mission. But what do you expect for an agency that is run by bean counters (sort of good), can't seem to get rid of bad employees (bad), and don't seem to know what it takes to keep employees.

Oh and still as wordy as always. ;)
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

XMEN Ashaman DTM wrote: I'm trying to get a job with the Navy at the base where I work: either an engineering position (testing, R&D),
Okay Asha, we're going to test something we call the "Spinfusor". Please just hold this flag....step a little further back please!
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

hehe. you don't want to know what they've done with some of the torpedoes!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Yes, I do.
Ambush Bug
Inmate

Post by Ambush Bug »

Oooo, those hypersonic thingamajigs with the little supercaviation plate on the nose? Those things are scary. ...though I have to wonder what those plates are made of to take that kind of abuse....

....anyway! Life!

Currently married (9 years and counting) and still in Minnesota. It's still cold, I still have a beard, and I still have cats. Currently working for a little electronics-distribution shop that mostly deals in iDevice accessories. I run their servers, do support, write manuals, write marketing stuff (some of which I'm proud of! ;) ) and generally get to exercise my problem-solving skills on a daily basis.

Wouldn't mind snagging a spot at Mayo, but holy crap is it hard to get in there. "Duct-tape-and-bailing-wire-on-no-budget sysadmin" isn't the best sell up here in the land of lutefisk and slacks. Still, Mrs. Bug and I live comfortably enough, so I can't really complain.

*edit

Serves me right for not reading the thread. Asha: only if you can procure an M1 Abrams...and I get to drive. ;)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Bug!

Nope. Just state of the art torpedoes. Can't go into much detail because things get classified very quickly. Suffice it to say, everything I've heard from the Navy indicates they are very happy with the product they are getting.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Oh and since it wasn't an outright "no"... I'll see if I can get a tank.

Does 1/16th scale count?
Ambush Bug
Inmate

Post by Ambush Bug »

Well, considering you'll have to compete with DriveATank.com, which is about 90 minutes away from my home.... ;)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Wow. That would be fun around here.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

FYI-

The front page of driveatank.com contains a mobile artillery piece, and an armored personnel carrier. Neither of which are tanks.

<-- was an actual Tanker.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

I think this looks fun.

The one in front on the homepage is British, I think.