Something has to give...

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

Nilk
Inmate

Something has to give...

Post by Nilk »

Right now T:A is unplayable for me. It is definately not the rig, and it seems like every other game is playing online fine, but T:A is NOT working. I keep having snags, no matter what server or how many times I restart T:A. It is mostly frustrating when skiing. Especially when I'm going full speed and am deadstopped in open sky with no pursuit....At this rate I"m going to try to play for a few minutes. If I run into the problem I"m stopping for the night. If its not fixed soon, I will come back when I hear they have optimized net connections. (I e-mailed them and they told me that optimization wasn't complete. I would think this is worse than just optimization, especially when I have a 27 ping to the server...)
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

Beta is beta for a reason bro. Gotta catch whatever it is that's causing the snags. FRAPS it if you can and submit it as a bug report.
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

that's what I'm saying. I did report it. Their response is "nothing is optimized, so we aren't worried about it". I've done beta testing before, was asking if there was anything to send them, because it went from working fine to not working fine.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

I have the same problem. It is frustrating
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

they did reply again, asking for my dxdiag. thing is, it seems server side. Anyways if I'm on less, it isn't due to the iceflu.

why I think it's server sided:

i7-920
16gb ddr3 @1600mhz
180gb revodrive
gtx460 pny OC
gtx260 evga dedicated physx
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

it is, about two patches ago, they made "network optimizations" it's in the patch notes. But i'm not sure who they optimized for. When the beta first came out, it was truly one of the smoothest network games i've ever played, no lag whatsoever, 20 ping, etc.

Now it's dog crap. If they don't fix it it will ruin the game for me for sure.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I remember that patch. It did make things pretty jerky. They updated that a day or so later and it improved, but it's still worse than it was.

T1 had diddly for needing a server at HQ. T2 had only the login and master server list. T3 I don't remember. :) But with Ascend we have to be phoning home ALL the time because of the way they locked out the loadouts and the point system, etc. That's progress... go figure.
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

yeah, the first time it started was a couple of patches ago. then another update hit and the issue became minimal. now, this starts, I almost think it is more about the number of players. maybe there has been an increase in population.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hey, I'm wondering... have you tried turning off the PhysX stuff? I realize it's not exactly new, and the Unreal engine does use it IIRC. I've seen weirder things.
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

game ran smooth last night, ggs ice!

no physx settings in tribes:a.

If i see the issue again, i'll try turning off the setting that tells the driver to specifically use the 260 for dedicated physx.

i've found it can make a huge difference in physx intensive games (a la batman arkham series), even with an amd primary card.
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

if i was running Dual AMD cards, could i use a GTS 450 for Physx?
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

I am going to turn it off also. I am getting a bit upset with my heavy blasting along a ski route and hitting a snag/bump and stopping or shooting straight up. Is a pain in the butt. I fricking hit the SIDE of the water on that new map and it stopped me cold on two flag runs.

I run an AMD 6770 and otherwise it is beautiful.

Great games guys...really love seeing you out there. Love playing with friends.

AMD Phenom II x6
8 gb RAM
3 x 640 gb WD
ATI 6770
Nilk
Inmate

Post by Nilk »

Jester wrote:if i was running Dual AMD cards, could i use a GTS 450 for Physx?
http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Configuration_types

Though you may have to do the Hybrid Physx Hack. I'd heard that nvidia had stopped being so ridiculous about having the cards lock down because its not like they aren't making money off of the dedicated hybrid cards.

But it appears that the Hybrid mod is alive and well, the top post has the updated information, looks like programmer was working on it steadily:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1770 ... -05ff.html
Jester
Inmate

Post by Jester »

intersting thanks!