Tribes Ascend

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've found something that I'm having to consciously adjust to, and don't really like. It's the ability to drop your weapon or pack and pick up whatever your late opponent was using, effectively changing your loadout on the field. Yes, I know it doesn't fit in with their pay model, and it's not really that huge a thing, but it still bothers me the most at this point. Ah well, it can't be 1999 forever. :D
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I started capping in Ascend for the first time yesterday. The rush is the same, and skiing those hills just right is still sweet. I'm still stuck in my medium armor so the light chasers SHOULD have been able to catch me. And did, a couple times. I still got 3 caps on Katabatic, did a last-second flag grab to keep them from capping once, and supposedly skied for 117,000 meters. Um, yeah.
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Do any of you guys actually play?? I only ever see Malthus on, and only a few times.

I've been sniping quite a bit, though I still mostly suck at it.

HO'ing in Jugg doesn't make much in points (the point system is skewed to capping IMO), but I'm within 4 skills of having Jugg capped in skills anyway. It is still necessary to take down turrets usually, so they'll definitely be used in a team scenario.

HOF just isn't feasible from what I can tell. Body blocking doesn't work super great and the weapons loadouts are too limited. It's either disc/mortar, missile launcher/chaingun, or disc/shotgun for heavies. The most success I've seen from a HOF standpoint is Jugg mortaring the flagstand, but very little body blocking going on.

Mediums are very strong all around (though I don't play any of them). Hard to outduel them in Heavy, hard to survive them in light (one disc kills a light if it's aimed well). They can go fast, they can shoot well....they are my bane.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've been on a good bit lately. Not seeing folks either. I did see someone once, and I think that was you, HD.

I agree with you that the loadouts are limited. I much prefer to mix my own. And two slots vs three makes a big difference. (somewhat related... why is repair a gun, and not a pack?? Shazbot!)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

I'm usually on late because of getting kids down. Since I'm west coast, probably much later than you all. That will change, but not for a while yet.

As for the loadouts, I actually miss carrying three weapons. And I agree about the medium armors: they are pretty tough. Going in as a light has been a binary thing for me: either it is pretty sweet if I'm purely capping or (trying to) sniping, or I'm just horrendous. It's still a rush to go after a flag and get moving, and I've been good enough with my aim on the mortar to do some decent kills of the flag carrier, but anything else is just sad to watch.
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Yeah, I really dislike having to drop a weapon to pick up the repair gun. I usually grab it while sniping, so I'll drop my pathetic little pistol for it. That being said, repairing is a good way to get some fast tokens if you're close to getting a vehicle.

SMG seems overpowered at the moment. EVERY armor needs a disc launcher +2 other things in my opinion, but I don't see it happening. Dropping the speed cap seems to have done little from what I can see. Very few cappers have a route that can get them enough speed for it to matter. Guess that might change once competition kicks in.

I think I'm gonna put the sniper down for a bit and just run around in medium armor and see how it feels for a few days. I tend to snipe more when my team can't keep the flag at home anyway. PUB's suck...
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Couldn't do it...went back to sniping...
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I prefer to play with others when I game, knowing if they are online before hand usually goads me into playing.

There is a Tribes Ascend channel on TeamSpeak, server: alliedtribalforces.com

I also put a shortcut to Tribes in Steam and launch it via Steam, then others can see when I am playing.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

HD, it took 3 hours to switch? LOL I've been on, but haven't seen anyone yet, except Gryphon as he's logging on when I log off.. I am going to try to get on tonight, depending on how well the little one goes to sleep.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

More like 5 minutes to switch. I started to chase and went "F*** this...I could have drilled a hole through the back of that guys head without having to move....". I went on to own a Crossfire map while sniping.

I too prefer playing with people I know. I generally get the "bitch, please" face from the wife if I put headphones on to play using TS or vent, and I have a little one that makes my playtime erratic, but I get on and play most nights (and a little during the day at work...heh heh heh).

On a side note, I HATE the new CTF map. Way too easy for cappers and all kinds of crap to break LOS for them once they are away. Half of that map is utterly wasted except to get cappers up to speed, and that central spire piece just serves to break LOS between flag stands. POS map IMO.

On a second side note, the Katabatic bases suck ass. The architects of the future need to go back to school...
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »

I have another code.

Code: Select all

T1F1F-B4522-D9814-39E90-18BE0
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

The architects of the future need to go back to school...
LOL! My thoughts too when I HO on that map.

I've done a bit in the way of capping, sniping, and HOing. Tried HoF and realized body blocking is so tough it's a worthless technique.

I've also noticed that if you have a team that is unbalanced in any way, it's easy for the other team to take advantage.

I don't know that I like how vehicles work in third person. And the beowulf tank is downright weird to drive without a gunner.

Ah well, more testing to do!
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

Finally got to play with someone I know last night! I saw Gryphon for a whole map, and then I crashed, and then corrupted my install, then spent 20 minutes repairing the install via validation, then he was gone....
Hot Damn
Inmate

Post by Hot Damn »

That was hilarious to listen to while he was playing...