First Career Job Looks Like Its Going To Be...

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

TimberWolf
Inmate

First Career Job Looks Like Its Going To Be...

Post by TimberWolf »

Army Corps of Engineers, Huntington District.

I have received the unofficial offer yesterday and an email confirming it today. Now the HR department has to get moving with the paper work which I'm told the process can take up to a month.

It has been almost 3 months since I originally interviewed with them, so I can see how slow federal agencies move but in their case when doig the designs its understandable. Since I graduated in December with my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and hadn't heard anything from any company in a while I was getting worried. But my first choice came through for me. Now I just need to pay off all those loans and start saving money up to buy all the things I could never afford before. May have to live without internet for a month or so when I move down there.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back whether I'll get the offer or not, had my interview with FAA a couple weeks ago... Here's to hoping!
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hey, congrats.

I'd think 3 months to hear back about a "gub'mint" job was pretty good. Took me about that long for a bank job. :)
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Yawn...been here too long...21 years.....gawl durn I am old. :lol:
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

3 months after the interview? How long from application to interview? I am currently at 8 months (Almost 9) from application closing to interview... and almost 2 years from my first application. :o
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
TimberWolf
Inmate

Post by TimberWolf »

It was about 2 weeks between applying till interviewing but they came to campus to interview many potential candidates. It was nearly two months later before I heard back about a second interview. Then just over two weeks till being informed that I was selected.

This district had 2 positions to fill and wanted to fill them sooner rather than later. So the only thing that is slowing them down is the paper work. The Corps is still under limitations in man power by Congress. They also have a few members who will be retiring in the next few years and they want to keep that knowledge. An example I've heard that explains why is because the district spent months developing a new system for a dam and then was asked to help another district in modernizing one on the great lakes. When they got up there they found their new found innovation was installed in that dam back in the 50's. They are trying to dig up old records and designs and see why they were lost and if they can be modernized.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

That's like lighting, dude.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Doncha hate it when you think you've found something original, only to find out you've been scooped by 50 years? LOL! Good luck in your new job TW. Uncle Sam takes pretty good care of their people, and you'll probably be there for a long time.. :D
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Nice. Though welcome to the wonderful world of CPOL. You'll soon love to hate the Army's civilian personnel. :D

It's not too bad, but get ready for some headaches. Except your paycheck, that's one thing the government absolutely tries to get right.

And SH: I wouldn't get too worked up. The position you applied for is very competitive. It can't hurt to ping them with a request for a status update.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Asha: It IS pretty competitive.. FAA likes to take your message and not call back, or Email. So I just do what I can, and wait. I've got a pretty good job now (Thankfully)so I don't NEED to make a move yet, but this is definite;y where I want to be, so it's worth the hassle, IMO.
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Well, if you're in it this far and they haven't told you that you are not selected, chances are they are figuring out who they can hire. Now that I've changed agencies (USAF to DCMA), I see that some places will not hire someone even if they need them, without going through the position creation process. It's very... odd. I would think they would want to get positions allocated at the beginning of the fiscal year, but they don't. I have heard that DOT agencies are like that too.

I still think it's safe to assume that when they want you, they'll get you.

Plus, you've got not worries right at this moment. You're in a good place. :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

guess what?

I got my TOL! (Tentative Offer Letter) That's right, I got hired! (Tentatively) w00t!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Hey, that's great. Is it a good week or what?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

it has been a great week. :D
ATF Ravok
Inmate

Post by ATF Ravok »

ALRIGHT!!! WTG HAT! Grats!!!

That's just awesome.

"Your link to missing links."