New species video

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

New species video

Post by XMEN Gambit »

By now you've probably heard the stories about all the newfound species in the Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia region. I finally clicked on this video at CNN and it is indeed a fascinating set of critters.

However, I wanted to draw your attention to the video wall this guy is interacting with. Like a giant iPhone screen:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2 ... pecies.cnn
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

There is something similar in a local mall on the floor, and in Las Vegas in a couple Tram stations above the strip.. It's a projector, and shines on a surface and picks up movement, and interprets it to manipulate what's on the screen. Very very cool tech. Most I've seen in RL have been simple games, or advertisements, but CNN has found a good use for it I think. :D
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I've seen those floor things before, and took a few minutes to figure out how they worked and interacted. Kind of neat. But this CNN wall uses subtle motions like finger pinches and reverse-pinches that I don't think would be workable with the projector system. (Could be wrong, of course.)
DarkKnife
Inmate

Post by DarkKnife »

I dont think its a projector. I believe its just a large touch screen. In fact I think that its the same screen they used during the elections. I guess they figured they gotta use it more often than once every four years.

Yeah looking at it again Ive seen other demonstrations of this with some REally large touch screens, like the size of walls. Contrast is all screwey though.
Gryphon
Inmate

Post by Gryphon »