I hate to ask this.

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

DarkKnife
Inmate

I hate to ask this.

Post by DarkKnife »

Hate to open this can o worms.
IPod or Zune?
Gonna want to get a serious mobile music player this Christmas and looking at the reviews of both (plus my hatred of Apple)(Should have bought their stock in 02) I just cant decide. Plus I don't know anyone with a zune. Your reviews opinions?
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

You need to decide 2 things with either player:

1. Do you like the interface, and does it make sense to you? You'd need to go and actually find a store that sells these and play with it to decide this.

2. Do you want an all-in-one media package, or do you wan to to change music management software / music providers whenever? iTunes is great if you want an all-in-one management and music store application. Windows Media Player is what you'd use with the Zune, (We all know how user friendly that is) But you can use Napster and Yahoo Music, and the other music sales sites out there, except iTunes.

2a. Do you want brown, or a choice of colors?

I have an iPod (2, actually) and I like them both. I have a 6Gb mini, and a 20Gb player, and they're great on battery life and durability, and they're a great player.
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Oh, there's another question, too. How much do you want to support, and suffer from, vendor lock-in and DRM? Cause that's what you've got with either of those choices. Have you considered a Zen or one of the other brands?

Here's a website I found for iPod alternatives:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Honestly I don't worry about the DRM so much. I've imported most all my CD collection, and don't buy from the iTunes store hardly ever. (1 album's worth in 2+ years) And, if you look hard enough, you can find ways to knock that DRM off those tracks you did buy...
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Spinning Hat wrote: if you look hard enough, you can find ways to knock that DRM off those tracks you did buy...
True, but if you buy something that is DRMed, you are supporting both the DRM industry and the people that made the decision to use it on their product. I'm not saying that DRM should be the major factor in your decision to purchase media, I just think you should be aware of what you're doing. I also think DRM is a bigger factor when selecting player hardware or software.
Defiance.enD

Post by Defiance.enD »

I have a Zune player and am very happy with it.

I usually don't get all technical with my gadgets, I save that for my cameras. :)

I have the Cucusoft DVD to Zune conversion software so that I can watch movies and it works pretty well, and keeps my midshifts at work somewhat pleasant.
Defiance.enD
aka TxCowboy[DTM]
http://www.vancewhitephotography.com