Looking for a way to use more than one Processor Core???

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

XMEN Iceman

Looking for a way to use more than one Processor Core???

Post by XMEN Iceman »

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=15556

Try out Core Maximizer! I have tried this out and it does make a decent improvement. It was recommended by a server admin friend of mine that games.
An enterprising Supreme Commander fan has come up with Core Maximizer, a utility for people with dual-or-more-core computers (or even hyper-threaded single cores, though you can’t expect a great improvement from those) that makes the game run considerably better. It does it by more efficiently shifting the game’s multiple threads onto cores other than the first.

The effect is a large increase in frame rate, at the cost of a small decrease in maximum “sim” speed - which isn’t a very big deal, since I for one often find it beneficial to slow the game down a bit when complicated stuff is going on, anyway.

On my dual-core Athlon 64 PC (this one), running the standard “perftest” benchmark showed that Core Maximizer slowed sim-speed to 96% of what it had been, but accelerated render-speed by a factor of 2.4. This resulted in 23% more frames logged during the benchmark, which is pretty darn impressive for this extreme stress test. Other users have reported similar improvements.

(And yes, as an old TA player I, too, originally thought it sounded like a downloadable unit. “The Core Maximizer is a roving optimization system. It upgrades other units so that they move more smoothly.”)
You load it up, and leave it resident. Also, go into the options and make sure you check the "Enable for online Play". That also seems pretty good.

Let me know what you think!!!