Exciting News!

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Exciting News!

Post by Spinning Hat »

So, as many of you may or may not know, I've been patiently waiting and trying to get hired by the FAA for an Air Traffic Controller position. Well, after almost 3 years, I've finally got an Email from the folks down in Oklahoma City, and I'll be interviewing and doing all my medical, psych. and security clearance stuff in November down in Kansas City! This is the farthest I've been able to get in this process, and I've been on the referral list for different announcements a couple times, and got skipped because the people had picked some veterans' preference guys that were not supposed to be on the list... I guess it all works out, ad the best part of this? I don't have to move. :D They're offering Minneapolis Center, which is a little south of the cities, but close enough that I can commute for a while till we decide where we want to live, or if we even want to move. :D

Is that cool, or what?
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

That is AWSOME! Congrats!
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

Woot! Congrats Hat!!!! Good Luck!
Starmage21
Inmate

Post by Starmage21 »

wow dude. I get it now, the hat's a radar dish!
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

haha, look-it what google found for you!

Conga Rats!
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Woohoo!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Thanks guys. :D I've been in contact with he Agency again today, and things are really happening.. it's all kind of surreal at first, especially after the first contact, but we're all systems go here. :D
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

I'm really surprised it's taken this long, considering the well-publicized shortage, retirement dates, etc.
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

That's the FAA for you... The current administrator hasn't been the most helpful when it comes to making things happen, and there's a bunch of steps to get hired, but the biggest thing, is they wait so long after an announcement closes to move on it, that even if they get on it "right away", it's still 6-9 months before you know what's going to happen... It's frustrating to say the least, but that's how they play that game.
FaLLGuY
Inmate

Post by FaLLGuY »

Isn't that a real stressful job with all that money they give you??? :shock:

Congrats!!!! :D
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

It can be stressful, but the money isn't as good as it once was.. Current 'leadership' decided to impose a nontract on the controllers instead of negotiate in good faith.. Things are hopefully going to change soon, once W. is gone...
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

SH: one thing I've found with the government:

If they want you for something, they'll keep posting the job until you get in.

And it does take a while, you just got to be patient. Anything personnel related for the government takes literally about 5 times as long as you'd think.

;)

Good luck!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Thanks Asha. :D I've actually applied for a few other open announcements besides this one, so I'm fully aware how long it takes. Took a year from my first application to get a test date set, so this isn't a big deal, but at least I have an interview date, and we'll go from there. :D
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Well... I've found that if you make it to the interview pool, you've made the top 15 cut. They'll pare it down to just a couple after interviews, and they have been known to tell a candidate: Apply for this job when you see the announcement, it's only open for 3 days. 3 days is the shortest that the HR folks will allow a job to be posted.

From the sound of things, it's just a waiting game for you. Hang in there!
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

That's what I'm hearing from my friends on the inside so to speak, guys I went to college with who're working in ATC now. The HR folks will never come out and say it, but since the PEPC dates in Kansas City are full, I'll be interviewing at the facility I'd be working at, so this could actually work out better than intended. :D AND I have a few friends working down there.. :D :D :D (Extra good for me.) I'll play the game and wait it out, just thankful I currently have gainful employment, and I'm not going to live or die by this decision. (Metaphorically speaking.)

Moral of this story: Be patient, be persistent, and set goals. They WILL come through if you've got the drive. (You know who I'm talking to. :D)