I'm in!

Come in! Have a margarita or root beer? How about some fresh trout? :)

Moderator: Moderators

RoosterDTM

I'm in!

Post by RoosterDTM »

Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Congrats man. I know we were talking about you doing it a while ago, so what sis you decide on for an MOS?
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
RoosterDTM

Post by RoosterDTM »

ehh what? my sis is 12 and I have no idea what you're talking about...
XMEN Iceman

Post by XMEN Iceman »

What specialty did you pick is what he asked.

Congrats Travis...I am proud of you dude. :)
Spinning Hat
Inmate

Post by Spinning Hat »

Yeah, what Ice said. :p
"Never, Never, Never quit." - Winston Churchill
"Men don't like to cuddle. They only cuddle if it leads to.. You know.. Lower cuddling." - Ray Romano
"Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck." - Ricky, age 10
DarkKnife
Inmate

Rooster?

Post by DarkKnife »

Rooster's old enough to join the military?!?
Man last time I saw him wassss oh jes the 2002 mega lan?
Well jus remember to bring your 'rooster' along to boot so you can keep your handle hopefully. :)
No seriously congrats dude your the reason we can go to Pre-Lan parties at Hooters and enjoy a plethora of freedoms that others do not. God speed and have fun mano.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Congratulations!

I also am wondering about your specialty.

BTW, what's your dad think?
RoosterDTM

Post by RoosterDTM »

Aircraft technicion and/or mechanic

Hammer is very supportive of it although my mom is a bit sceptical (which was forseen) but I think it'll be very fun and I hope that it may give my life a turn around from what it has been.
BlackRider
Inmate

Post by BlackRider »

Yeah, congrats! Make us proud!

and don't forget to finish college when you get out.
RoosterDTM

Post by RoosterDTM »

Actually, for every job that I do for a period time it earns college credit on it's own although they will pay for any and all college that I do take afterwards. Hopefully I can come out avoiding college because I'm really not into school work, but we'll see.
XMEN Gambit
Site Admin

Post by XMEN Gambit »

Ah, grasshopper, I guarantee that discipline is one thing you will learn, and well, while serving in our armed forces. I think the schoolwork will seem a breeze later. ;)
XMEN Ashaman DTM
Inmate

Post by XMEN Ashaman DTM »

Congrats dude! I work around Air Force folks all day, and they're great. The bases that I've heard are good assignments are:

Hill AFB (Utah)
Eglin AFB (Florida - panhandle)
Arnold AFB (Tennessee)
Tinker AFB (Oklahoma)
McChord AFB (Washington)

For enlisted, those are great. If you're thinking of becoming an officer at some point, I know of the bases that are good assignments too.

For being a mechanic, things are going to be pretty easy for some of the newer aircraft. They can be a pain sometimes too. But most of the new planes are at the point where you plug a laptop into the plane and the plane tells you what's wrong with itself. Pretty cool. I can see you being an engine mechanic as well. Just remember that what I have personally seen and heard is that most of the maintenance personnel are being moved to other jobs or getting out. The best advice that I could give is learn your job so well that you teach others, then learn a new job so well that you teach others there.

If you want to pass the time, go to an operational base (Eglin is one). The tempo is much MUCH higher. And you might do some fun stuff at MacDill if you ever go there.

And actually, in the Air Force, it's not an MOS. It's called something else... like Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC sounds right). It's the same idea, just more letters. :D

I would say come to Edwards AFB, but it's the middle of nowhere with nothing really close by to have fun (like Nellis AFB and Vegas). Though LA is close by.

And also remember that there's a reason that the other services call it the "Chair Force". :D
(And don't get discouraged by that... the operational squadrons really work hard at a very quick pace.)
Ambush Bug
Inmate

Post by Ambush Bug »

Good luck, Rooster! One of my uncles was Air Force, and he brought back all kinds of stories from his time in the service. I'm sure you'll have many interesting experiences!